Eight Reasons to Drink Tea
More and more studies are coming out every day about the health benefits of tea. Green, Black, White, Oolong, or Herbal – the brewed stuff can really help your health.
Nutritionist Patricia Bannan of Zeenews.com offers Eight Reasons to Drink Tea:
1. Prevents Cavities – Tea contains a small amount of natural fluoride, a chemical that can help prevent tooth decay. When fluoride mixes with saliva, bacteria can`t produce the acid by-products that promote cavities. Additionally, fluoride works to repair teeth in the early stages of tooth decay.
2. Helps you Lose Weight- Studies show that catechins , antioxidants, in green tea extract may trigger weight loss by stimulating the body to burn calories and decreasing body fat, especially in the abdominal area.
3. Could Possibly Prevent Cancer- Evidence shows the polyphenols in tea, particularly catechins, have biological activities that may be relevant to cancer prevention. These antioxidants have also been shown to inhibit tumor growth: green teas specifically have been shown to activate detoxification enzymes that may help protect against tumor development.
One study from Italy found drinking three cups of green tea daily prevented prostate cancer in men who had precancerous cells indicating the presence of the disease.However, because the studies are inconclusive, the National Cancer Institute does not recommend for or against the use of tea to reduce the risk of any type of cancer.
4. Hydrates You – Scientists now agree the `eight glasses of water a day` rule is misleading and drinks such as tea and coffee can hydrate the body just like water. It`s still a good idea to aim for moderate caffeine intake, with no more than one to two cups at a time.
5. Can Prevent Stroke – study, published in the journal Stroke, found that long-term consumption of black, green, oolong or white tea can cut the risk of strokes by as much as 60 percent.
6. Could Help With Neurological Diseases – Tea might also help in the prevention and treatment of neurological diseases, especially degenerative diseases like Alzheimer`s. Research shows the polyphenols in green tea may help prevent neurotransmitters involved in brain function, like dopamine and epinephrine, from degrading. It may also inhibit senile plaques from depositing in the brain, which impairs cognition. One to two cups of green tea a day may even boost your learning and memory.
7. Can Help Your Bones – Green tea has been found to improve bone mineral density and strength. Studies have shown that elderly women who drank tea had higher bone density in their hips and less bone loss than women who didn’t drink tea.
8. Helps Immune System – White tea has been found to be effective at fighting infections caused by staph and streptococcus bacteria, pneumonia and tooth decay. Researchers think the natural chemicals contained in white tea might provide many benefits to the immune system and overall health.
So those are Eight Reasons more to keep drinking tea and even to vary what type of tea you’re drinking. This isn’t a definitive list of all the things tea can do ( some haven’t even been discovered yet). So explore the world of tea, whether it is venturing into floral tea or trying black tea for the first time – it can only benefit you.