- 1 cup light (clear) corn syrup
- 1 cup filtered or bottled water
- 6 tablespoons black tea (about 12 teabags)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups half and half, cold
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- Combine corn syrup and water in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in tea leaves, cover, and steep until syrup is dark, flavorful, and slightly bitter, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour tea syrup through a very fine mesh strainer (such as a tea strainer) into an airtight container. Stir in sugar to dissolve, then half and half and salt to taste. Milk tea should taste strong, and both sweeter and saltier than you would drink on its own. Chill in refrigerator until very cold, 1 to 2 hours.
- Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions, then transfer to airtight container and chill in freezer until firm, at least 4 hours.
and there you have it – black tea icecream – you could even have it with Sweet Tea on those hot summer days. It could even be made with different types of tea – you could go for green tea, fruit, or any manner of flower tea.