Hawthorn berry is full of vitamin C, carotene and other antioxidants. These little red fruits can block and reduce the formation of free radicals, enhance our body’s immunity, help reducing blood pressure, and help indigestion.
Although with all these health benefits, fresh hawthorn berry is just too sour to have. We have a great solution here –hawthorn jam! Follow our easy recipe, you will taste this sweet and sour, refreshingly delicious jam within half an hour.
- Fresh hawthorn berries 1000 grams
- White sugar 400 grams
- Water 600 ml
- Rinse the hawthorn and chop them into halves. Get rid of the stalks and cores.
- Put 600ml of water, 200 grams of sugar and the hawthorn berries into a pan and boil it until the hawthorn is soft.
- Transfer the content into a blender and blend for 20 seconds.
- Pour the mixture back into the pot, add 200 grams of sugar, and stir constantly over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, wait till it cools down and thickens.
- Pour and store it into sterilised jars!
You can taste your homemade hawthorn jam whenever you like: spread it on your bread, use it as a dipping sauce for snacks or dishes, and try mixing it with smoothies… Healthy and Yummy! Just remember to keep the jam in the refrigerator once you opened the jar.
- Enjoy the jam also with some home infused hawthorn tea. You can buy sliced dry hawthorn berries online for this, or make this at home as well.
- If the hawthorn berry jam is too sour, tweak this recipe by combining hawthorn with other type of berries to get a more balanced flavour.